CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Evilness, continued

So it's been over two weeks since I taught my class. Between a trip out of town for work and Memorial weekend, I've been on hiatus. I had a good friend come teach while I was out of town so at least my students didn't miss out on some practice. I even told the 'sub' that she could do anything she wanted with my intermediate gals and that she should really make them sweat for the first 30 minutes of class. It's been my goal to get them (and myself) stronger each week so we do my version of squats (butt bounces really), push-ups, and the plank along with lots of drills, shimmies and whatever else strikes my fancy. We sweat a lot and I love the fact that they keep coming back for more. It's like belly dance boot camp...not for the timid!

So, I know that the sub really worked them hard (you should see her fabulous abs and glutes...) which made me walk back into my class with mixed feelings. I haven't worked out much in the last few weeks (not even my martial arts classes), so I'm feeling a little out of the groove. I also have a little competitive streak (sorry ladies) that said I should push them further than their sub did...consider it 'marking my territory' or just showing them (really, just myself) that I can push even harder. There were even moments in class when I smiled and laughed in a crazed way before I made them do more. I even scared myself a couple of times.

So what's the result? Well, I was soooo sore before class even finished but I didn't want to show them (probably because I was lightheaded and a little shaky) and now I truly believe that my retribution will come tomorrow morning when I try to get out of bed. And I know, they are probably feeling it as well because mid-way through class they became very quiet, very still, and moved a little slower than normal.

So, is "Najla" Arabic for "evil"...perhaps not...but it may be in the running for "crazy woman who shouldn't kill her students or herself".

1 comments:

Team Serrins Springfield said...

But the upside is that it sounds like a great workout! Evilness and competitiveness aside that is.