CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, July 10, 2009

Funk Update

I've posted off and on this last year about feeling like I'm in a dance funk, and in the recent months I've been working on how to get out of that funk and on to to other things. I've realized several things in the process. First is I've been performing way too much given all the other things going on in my life. I work a full-time job, teach 2-3 classes a week, take 2-3 martial arts classes a week...and oh, then there's the laundry. On top of all of that, I've been performing 20-30 times a year.

Most of the performances haven't been strategically planned, they just get scheduled or rather I get asked to dance, or I think 'how fun' that would be. For many dancers, this would be wonderful and exciting, but I really have moved beyond the phase where I feel that I should dance at every possible opportunity into a phase of selective solos.



That being said, I've got a solo planned tonight at Patsy's Cowgirl Cafe. Yeah, don't laugh...this is Texas. It's a quirky little place that I haven't danced at since last November when I had a really nasty stomach virus (not related to the restaurant) hit me literally less than an hour after dancing. It's a fun venue and you get to eat queso after dancing!

But, here I am still at work trying to get in the mood. And, after deciding this summer I would no longer put myself in this position, I'm actually a little miffed at myself. I've been working so diligently on my 'plan' for this fall to get back in the groove and focus more on my creative energies, my dancing and myself and this one just isn't fitting in.

My biggest dilemma for the evening? What to wear and what to dance to. Here's the TMI portion of the post: I haven't shaved my underarms and don't want to because I want to get them waxed next week (which is big news for a woman who's always shaved). I have a couple of more casual/fusion outfits with sleeves that would be perfect for the venue, but I'm not feeling the fusion-y dance vibe. I've been feeling very cabaret classic lately. So I may just go with the more traditional song and less traditional outfit, 'cause I'm thinking the cowgirls may not know the difference :-)

0 comments: